Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dennis Irwin...the passing of a great bassist and spirit

I got an email the other day from a professional bassist in town here, who informed me that the great Dennis Irwin had passed away on the 10th of this month...

As some of you may or may not know, I am a great fan of the late, great drummer Mel Lewis and his playing of the drumset.

Dennis Irwin spent many hours in the service of Mel and his big band/sextet, and always was a fine support with all the varied, stellar musicians he played with.

He was the grand example of cool and hipness, with a willing nature to empart upon those around him a beautiful aura of the essence of what Jazz was, is and will be for those to come to it's creative firmament.

I have posted a You Tube video that is a fine primer on the essence of what Dennis Irwin was about.
Check the Lord Buckley 'hipster' lingo and the joyful delivery Dennis unleashes.

Thanks to ace writer/critic Bret Primack for a wonderful tribute to a great man who just happened to play bass for a living.

Thanks Brian for sending this to me and increasing my awareness.

Please enjoy,
c

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home